Do you want to connect to your target audience quickly and efficiently? Will you settle for nothing less than a sky-high open rate? There’s no denying the power of SMS as part of your mobile communication strategy. While both SMS and apps have advantages and disadvantages, only SMS communications have a 100% guaranteed rate of delivery. Since you know your message will get there, here are 5 reasons your business should send text alerts versus notifications apps like WhatsApp, Instagram, or Facebook Messenger, and the benefits you can gain from them.
1. Excellent reach
Approximately 1.08 billion people in the world only have a basic cell phone, and approximately 98% of Americans have a mobile phone. The keyword here is “mobile,” not “smart.” While apps are easily downloaded on a smartphone, mobile devices don’t have the same capability. With SMS texts, you can reach all mobile users, including people in the most remote locations, because SMS delivery relies on a cellular connection rather than the internet. A text alert is especially ideal in business situations when the internet is down, and employees need to be reached urgently.
2. Speedy communication
Users receive SMS notifications just seconds after a message is sent. SMS text messaging is by far the fastest marketing channel available and can get to many recipients at the same time. Thus, this method is ideal for emergency alerts (such as weather, critical events, and road closures), time-sensitive information like PIN code notifications, or appointment reminders.
3. Direct connect
Texts can help improve internal and external communication and customer service because SMS alerts get noticed. Unlike app notifications that disappear to the lock screen if a user doesn’t immediately tap on the message, text messages are stored on the user’s phone. While one in three users checks text notifications within one minute of receiving a text, it stays there to be checked later if they cannot instantly open it. Additionally, until it’s removed, a user can go back and review it.
4. Well received
In 2022, 55% of businesses reported they text their customers. More importantly, 70% of consumers opted in to receive texts from businesses because it is their preferred method of communication with these brands. The attraction of texts may be due to markedly decreased attention spans. Research shows the average person’s attention span is now down to 8.25 seconds. Because texts are very short, offering only a snippet of information is the perfect bite-size amount for today’s consumer.
5. Always space for text
Research shows that users spend 70 percent of their time on three of their frequently used apps. Typically, this attention falls to major apps such as YouTube, Facebook, or Instagram. Thus, every other app tries to get into that remaining 30 percent. Unfortunately, the apps that get downloaded most often are not for business purposes but instead for gaming, entertainment, or social media. SMS text messaging will still cut through to grab attention and avoid getting lost in the mix.
Ready to power your brand with SMS?
At Simplified Alerts we work with you and keep your goal in mind to deliver the best results from SMS texts. Of course, you likely have questions. We’re here to help. Let’s chat so we can find ways to start engaging your audience via SMS text alerts.